Friday, April 10, 2009

So another week has flown by and it is exactly two weeks from tonight that I will be back in America! It’s crazy to think that my time here is coming to a close but don’t you worry, I am still exploring new and interesting places every day that I would never have known existed. Monday was another field trip day for us where we were able to visit five different Christian churches in the Old City. It was interesting to learn about the beliefs of various denominations and see the way they worship and live their lives. The Terra Sancta Church was beautiful as we got to meet with Father Angelo, a Franciscan Monk, who was kind enough to let us walk around his living quarters. This church used to be a hostel where Orson Hyde once lived when he came to dedicate the Holy Land for the gathering of the Jews. We were able to see a door in their tailor shop that had his name inscribed underneath the handle. It was way cool! The last place we visited was the St Mark’s Church which is claimed to be the site of John Mark’s home, one of the original twelve apostles of Jesus Christ. Justina, the cutest lady with the squeakiest voice I’ve EVER heard, spoke about some crazy miracles that have occurred in her eight year stay in Jerusalem (she is originally from Iraq). She is an Armenian Christian and had such a lovable spirit about her that I couldn’t help but smile the entire time she was telling her stories. I got a picture with her so I can never forget that sweet face and the excitement she shared for her own faith. Underneath the church was the Upper Room (which is weird I know but whatever is older is hidden underground). This site is traditionally thought to be the place of the Last Supper and the First Church in Christiandom. There was such a powerful spirit in that room as we sang the sacred sacrament hymns. It was just like my first experience at the Garden Tomb long ago where I received a distinct witness that on the cross my Savior gladly bore my burdens, bled from every pore, and died to take away my sins. What a glorious blessing it is that my Savior and Redeemer rose again the third day from his borrowed tomb so that I can be resurrected like him one day if I remain worthy of the countless blessings God has in store for me. Since it was a special day for Mormons especially with it being the date of the organization of the Restored Church as well as Christ’s birthday and the day of his death, many of us visited the Garden Tomb and had the opportunity to spend time contemplating about the importance of that special day and sing hymns nonstop for about 45 minutes. If you can’t already tell, we LOVE to sing at whatever chance we get. Anyways, it was a wonderful way to end another awesome day in the Holy Land.

1 comment:

Mom said...

You look like such a brown baby already! Maybe it's just the picture, but it's fun to see you all tan with your little freckled nose! Sounds like a neat spiritual experience you had on this day! Make the most of these last 2 weeks! Don't waste a minute!