Wednesday, February 25, 2009

CITY OF DAVID and HEZEKIAH'S TUNNEL

Today we had a crazy fun field trip visiting the City of David and getting our pants completely soaked through Hezekiah's Tunnel, a water supply system, hence the reason we all got wet. This tunnel served as an aqueduct to provide Jerusalem with water during a future capture by the brutal Assyrian army. The tunnel was excavated by two teams starting at opposite ends and met at the middle where I saw the Siloam inscription which contains one of the oldest records of Hebrew using the Paleo-Hebrew alphabet. I'm not actually sure what all of that means but it's still cool stuff. I felt like a spy travelling through Hezekiah's Tunnel and sneaking into the city to conquer the land. It took about 30 minutes to walk through the entire pitch black, narrow tunnel so it was definitely a glorious experience! After we all made it through the tunnel, alive thankfully, we visited the Pool of Siloam which is the real place in John 9 where Christ anointed the eyes of the blind man so that he could receive sight. It was cool to actually touch the exact spot where this story in the Bible occurred. The stones that ascend this pool are the literal steps where Jesus Christ and His apostles walked frequently. How amazing it is to encounter places depicted in the Bible with my own eyes. Every day I marvel at the wonders of this land; there is so much history! As I have been informed by so many people this week, I am halfway through my trip which is absolutely crazy. Quite frankly, I'm not ready to come home just yet as there is much more exploring , experiencing, learning, and discovering to do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing it wasn't a cold day with all you students in soaking wet jeans - yuck! Sounds fun though & I continue to be amazed at all the things you are seeing & doing.

Don't dwell on the time that has already past...think about the 2 full months you still have to see & do so many more incredible things!

Brooke and Aaron said...

You're so adventurous! I love it! Mom's right..don't dwell on how much time has gone by, look ahead and realize how much more fun is coming.